“Too often, hospitals seem to look at talking about drugs with patients as a formality. But it’s not! It’s essential to keep patients safe in hospital and at home. And failure to do a better job of communicating with patients about drugs is one of the reasons hospital errors in this country are so unacceptably high.”
- Dr. John Santa, Director of the Consumer Reports Health Ratings Center.
For a medication education initiative to be successful, you need a team of champions to lead the charge. Keep in mind that poor communication leads to medical errors.
In addition to the people mentioned in previous blogs (CNO, CMO, nurses, IT, pharmacists, etc.), ancillary departments like PT and Dietary and crucial to patient medication education. Who spends more time with patients than RN’s? RN’s are in and out, while a PT may spend thirty to forty minutes in a physical therapy session. They’re not just talking about stretching quadriceps and hamstrings – they talk about diet, exercise, and many other aspects of a patient’s overall health. This is a great chance to make ancillary departments aware of their participation in patient education.
Members of the Patient Medication Education Team should be examples for everyone responsible for medication education by practicing the correct behaviors of medication education.
The PME Team must:
- Organize/supervise all new RN medication education training, and continue preceptor-ship (so staff members can educate patients with confidence)
- Focus on medication reconciliation at all transition points
- Establish patient rounding
- Issue actionable recommendations as needed
- See that all RN’s are empowered to question prescriptions/dosages as warranted
Members of the PME Team should define their Charter based on these responsibilities. The CEO absolutely needs to empower this team, so they can begin their initiative right away.
Inspiring Leadership Competency
- Assemble a Patient Medication Education Team, with a Charter and a prioritized Action Plan.
- Have at least one senior RN on each floor (preferably a medication guru) become a medication education-trainer.
- Make medication education workshops available.
- Focus on how to get your point across effectively – remember the handy anagram D.E.A.T.S.
- Use role-playing whenever you can; it’s a powerful staff education tool.
- Don’t hesitate to drill staff on their “teach back” skills.
- Empower nurses to question prescriptions if there is reason for a second look – and make sure providers understand why.
- Emphasize the benefits of “conversation-starters.”
- Encourage staff to customize and make them their own.
- Ensure you have a protocol for medication reconciliation at all transition points.
- Schedule pharmacist rounding on an “as needed” basis.
- Remember to recognize and reward staff (innovators and steady performers alike).
The Take Away
Without exception, effective leaders are great communicators. Institute a Patient Medication Education Team, with members across all departments, to promote the training and behaviors necessary for effective communication about medications.
Follow Us on Twitter
Like Us on Facebook
Valuable information. Thanks for publishing such great information. You are doing such a great job. This information is very helpful for everyone. Keep it up. Thanks. Show detailsReplyDelete
More appreciating blog and this is Great post for me. It looks excellent and maintains a good job. You can visit https://www.pricepropharmacy.com/cialis-coupon/ to buy medicines online.ReplyDelete
I am very much obliged to you for sharing this necessary knowledge. This information is very helpful for everyone. So please always share this kind of information. Thanks once again for sharing it. pls visit our website Alcohol rehab centers in Santa Clarita, CAReplyDelete
You wrote this post very carefully about physical therapy Bowling Green. The amount of information is stunning and also a gainful article for us. Keep sharing this kind of article, Thank you.ReplyDelete
You have done good work by publishing this article here about Jobs working with developmentally disabled adults. I found this article too much informative, and also it is beneficial to enhance our knowledge. Grateful to you for sharing an article like this.ReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing this article here about the Gastro Surgeon. Your article is very informative and I will share it with my other friends as the information is really very useful. Keep sharing your excellent work.thyroid specialist doctor in agra site.ReplyDelete
This information is so important, essential and informative which you have shared here. It is beneficial for beginners to develop their knowledge. It is very gainful information. Thanks once again for sharing it. Massey Ferguson TractorReplyDelete
The road is long, my legs are short. How far do you have to go to find him?ReplyDelete
my site: https://chich3x.com/anh-sex-vn-canh-nong-canh-gai-dit-nhau-chat-luong-2021
Your blog is very valuable which you have shared here about Choice Education I appreciate the efforts which you have put into this blog and also it is a gainful blog for us. Thank you for sharing this here.ReplyDelete
This article provided me with a wealth of information aboutKetamine Therapy bakersfield ca. The article is both educational and helpful. Thank you for providing this information. Keep up the good work.ReplyDelete
Excellent job, this is great information which is shared by you. This info is meaningful and factual for us to increase our knowledge about it. about Help With Statistics Homework Online So please always keep sharing this type of information.ReplyDelete
I am very thankful to for the post you have shared here about Best Education Programs is really helpful for me about Best Education Programs Thank you for sharing that. Keep up the good work.ReplyDelete
You've provided quite good information here. This is fantastic since it expands our knowledge and is also beneficial to us. Thank you for sharing this piece of writing. Alcohol rehab centers in Fresno, CAReplyDelete